Computer Lab in Newman Library
AT Services Lab is operating in coordination with Newman Library's COVID-19 operations. In-person and/or virtual consultations can be scheduled by emailing email@example.com
The Assistive Technologies Services (AT Services) Lab in Newman Library helps ensure that students, employees, and people with disabilities have the appropriate technologies needed to access programs and services of the university. It is designed to be a quiet study space that supports a variety of disabilities and provides hardware and software-based assistive technologies. In addition to having iMacs running both macOS and Windows, AT Services includes specialized computer software, adaptive equipment, and individualized training.
Examples of assistive technologies supported by AT Services include:
- Computer screen magnification, color filtering, and many other features
- Video magnifiers with color filtering, auto highlighting, and other enhancements
- Screen readers
- Scan and read products
- Assistive reading and writing products
- Speech recognition for computer control and dictation
- Note taking software, organizers, and a variety of other assistive/adaptive tools
- Ergonomic (sit-to-stand) ADA-accessible tables for university computer workstations
AT Services Lab is operating in coordination with Newman Library's COVID-19 operations. In-Person or Virtual consultations are available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested individuals can request access by emailing email@example.com. A Virginia Tech PID and password are required to make the request and a Hokie Passport is required for entry. Requests for access and orientation are answered within 48-hours during business hours 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The lab itself is available anytime Newman Libray is open.
Since this is a shared quiet study space, users are asked to:
- Speak quietly
- Throw away any trash
- Use headphones when listening to audio or video
- Limit printing to 10 sheets per visit
- Save files to a USB drive, cloud drive or email
For computer support issues in the AT Services Lab contact firstname.lastname@example.org.